Call Us 509.783.5544

Bulk Wine Transportation

Feb 20, 2019

While I am not an expert on tanker loads of bulk wine we do transport a large number of “caged” totes or “stainless steel” tanks for our customers across the pacific northwest and California. For those transporting full totes or tanks I think it’s important to know a couple of regulatory and safety items.


Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)

  • FMCSA implemented requirements to help improve safety and training requirements for those whom transport “bulk” items.
  • A driver is required to have a “Tanker Endorsement” on their Commercial Drivers License if:
    Cargo includes liquid or gaseous individual containers larger than 119 gallon capacity.
    The containers are loaded, and not empty.
    The total combined volume in those containers exceeds 1,000 gallons.
  • The rules have been in place since 2015.
  • If you or your carrier gets stopped without the endorsement the truck / load can be shut down and not allowed to move until a licensed operator is available, $5,000 fine and potential drivers license suspension.
  • Ensure tank is sealed… if it’s leaking going down the road, you are only losing money, it can also cost you another ticket… “Unsecure load.”


  • Bulk liquids move / slosh. So it’s really important you understand the impacts to handing with your vehicle and trailer.
  • Increase your defensive driving posture.
  • Plan your route and for any potential issues.
  • Secure the tanks down with appropriately rated straps and the correct number.
    Example: the first and last four feet of any “flat bed” load must be secured with (2) straps.

I hope this helps you stay safe and legal. Please call me if you have any questions.